Did you get an Instant Pot for Christmas? We did! This is the first recipe we cooked with this fun electric pressure cooker and it came out perfect, delicious and done in 15 minutes! You literally throw all the ingredients into the pot, set it for 15 minutes (with valve in the Sealing position) and you’re done!
The benefits to this recipe are endless! It is super flavorful, has next to no fat and calories and will fill you up for hours. We made this on a Sunday, portioned it out into containers in 1 cup servings, and took it for lunch throughout the week. Wonderful!
Note: Some folks will tell you to sauté the chicken first, but we found it to be unnecessary. The chicken came out fully cooked and shredded easily using the process below.
- 5lbs skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 5 cups chicken broth, reduced sodium
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 – 15oz cans white northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 4oz can diced green chilies undrained, 4 ounces
- 11oz can yellow corn
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Add the chicken and all the additional ingredients to the Instant Pot.
- Place the lid on and lock it.
- Make sure the valve is set to Sealing
- Use the manual keys to set the Instant Pot to 15 minutes.
- After the cooking has completed, use the quick release lever to release the pressure (move it to the Venting position).
Kevin’s Tip: BE CAREFUL when releasing the pressure! It’s extremely hot and rushes out of the top (think tea kettle on steroids). After the initial release, we threw a kitchen towel lightly over the top to help contain some of the steam and that seemed to add some safety.
- Use two forks to shred the chicken (you can pull them out or shred them directly in the pot).
- Serve immediately. We added fat free sour cream as a topping and it was delicious!
Instant Pot experiments will continue in Kevin’s healthy test kitchen! We’ll post our best recipes as we create them. Cheers!
Yields: 6 servings
Serving Size: 1 Cup
Calories 202 | Fat 1g | Saturated Fat 0g | Carbs 8g | Fiber 0g | Sugar 4g | Protein 29g