Braving the food at a Super Bowl party can be a daunting experience. Having a plan and bringing the food your going to eat with you helps tremendously! Here’s a great recipe that serves as an alternative to traditional Buffalo wings with a fraction of the fat and calories. Traditional buffalo wings have over 1000 calories and 100g of fat! Ours are delicious and have only 339 calories and 6g of fat.
The trick to this dish is using chicken drumsticks instead of wings and removing the skins. No one will know the dipping sauce is made from reduced fat sour cream and fat free half & half. Enjoy your Super Bowl having something delicious all the while knowing you’re staying on your healthy track!
8 Chicken Drumsticks (skins removed)
1 tsp. Chili Powder
1 tsp. Cumin
1 tbsp. Canola Oil
12 oz Hot Sauce
6 oz Agave Nectar
1 tbsp. Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
2 oz crumbled Blue Cheese
8 oz reduced fat Sour Cream
2 oz Lemon Juice
1 pinch Salt
1 pinch White Pepper
1 oz fat free Half &Half
1 dash Worcestershire Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove skin from chicken drumsticks.
Kevin’s Tip #1– The easiest way to remove the skin is to run the chicken under warm water while you do it. You get a better grip on the skin and it comes off a lot easier.
3. In a small mixing bowl add the chili powder, cumin and canola oil and mix together. Rub the drumsticks down with the mixture and place on a cookie sheet with a rack.
Kevin’s Tip #2– If you don’t have a rack you can place them on the sheet itself. For easy clean up, be sure to place a sheet of parchment paper or foil on the cookie sheet.
4. Place the chicken in the oven and bake for 40 minutes turning them over half way through.
5. While the chicken cooks, add the hot sauce, agave nectar and the Jamaican jerk seasoning to a sauce pan and warm over low heat.
6. In a small bowl add all the dipping sauce ingredients together and mix using a fork, crushing the blue cheese crumbles a bit as you go.
7. Remove the chicken from the oven. Place the warm Buffalo sauce into a large bowl. Add the chicken to the bowl making sure each piece is covered with sauce. Serve with the Blue cheese dipping sauce and some celery sticks.
Warning! These are messy to eat so make sure you have plenty of napkins or towelettes near by.
Chicken and Sauce (Serving size 2 drumsticks)
Calories 339 | Fat 6g | Saturated Fat 1g | Carbs 56g | Fiber 0g | Sugar 48g | Protein 15g
Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce (Serving Size1 oz)
Calories 44 | Fat 3g | Saturated Fat 2g | Carbs 3g | Fiber 0g | Sugar 2g | Protein 2g