Scalloped au gratin potatoes are a great side dish on your Easter table. Before our weight loss we made these with no thought to the kind of potatoes we were using or the cheese or the milk. This recipe pays homage to the Yukon Gold potato and swaps out fat-free half & half for whole milk and reduced fat cheese for the full fat version.
These simple swaps save you 366 calories, 17 grams of fat and 12 grams of saturated fat. So keep the potatoes on your table this year and just make a healthier version of an old favorite.
3 Tbsp. margarine
1 small onion, chopped
3 Tbsp. of all-purpose flour
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 tea spoon of salt
1/8 tsp of white pepper
1 1/2 cups of fat free half & half, warmed
2 lbs of Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and sliced thin
8 oz reduced fat cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large sauce pan, melt margarine over medium low heat.
- Add the onion and cook until tender about 5 or 6 minutes.
- Add the flour, parsley, salt and white pepper and stir for 2 minutes.
- Using a wire whisk, slowly whisk in the half & half.
- Turn the heat up to medium.
- Using a wooden spoon stir constantly until the mixture begins to boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir constantly for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Spray a 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Place half of the potatoes in a single layer on the bottom of the casserole.
- Pour in half the sauce andadd half of the cheese on top.
- Repeat this process with the rest of the potatoes and sauce (hold the remaining cheese).
- Cover and cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Remove the cover and add the remaining cheese on top and bake until it melts about 10 to 15 minutes.
Serves 12 (1/2 cup)
Calories 144 | Fat 5g |Saturated Fat 2g | Carbs 18g | Fiber 2g | Sugars 2g | Protein 6g